Tuesday, January 1, 2008

happy new year everyone! I'll keep it quick today because im lazy tonight. I didnt really do much today, no exercise, not much of anything, feels like Sunday. So tomorrow I'll be going to work and finishing up some projects and hopefully I'll go work out somehow...it may just be a walk. Anyways, here's what I ate today.

Breakfast
Potato Pancakes that I made over at jamie's with leftover mashed potatoes I made for christmas dinner. I dont think they were too bad because they were small. I had four of them with maybe 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and raisins on them. Im gonna go out on a limb and say it was probably 600 calories.

Lunch
Sandwich made with whole wheat bread (2 slices), 1 TBSP mayo, 3 oz leftover potroast.
4 strawberries. (did you know that a medium strawberry has only 4 calories??!! I think i will be buying more of these guys!!)
-calories- 456

Dinner
1 serving of whole wheat macaroni with half a cup of chunky marinara, some garlic, 4 or 5 baby carrots, and a large handful of broccoli all steamed together.
-calories- 400

Totals
Intake - 1456
Ouput - 3000 (basal metabolic rate)
Caloric loss - 1544

So tomorow I think I'll make a trip to the grocery store and pick up some food for the week. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Justin said...

Shopping advice:

Meats and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar.


Shop only around the perimeter of the grocery store. Deli, produce, dairy, etc. Frozen foods section only for vegetables and frozen meat. Try to stay away from foods with long shelf-lives. Food spoils. That which does not is not food.

No corn or corn products if possible.

Jonny Meyer said...

yeah I almost always do...when I go "into" the store, its usually just for items like spices or broths or a rare ingredient. Whats so bad about corn?

Justin said...

Corn is a very simple and potent source of carbohydrate.

That's why they put it and its derivatives in every cheap food produc under the sun. It and other simple carbohydrates like it illicit a rapid insulin response, as the body prepares itself to absorb a large amount of energy quickly. This spike in insulin and the resultant crash is responsible for the buzz and crash you feel when you have a big fast food meal or a large soda, etc. Also, when your body is able to rapidly metabolize the food and turn it into blood sugar, it will have far more free circulating energy than it can burn and will store some of the remainder as fat.


So basically, think of corn like you think of sugar. Try to avoid it, but enjoy it when you get it.