Thursday, March 5, 2009

almost 5 pounds

day three
weight - 257.4
loss to date - 4.6 pounds
calories in - 1920
calories out - 3000 (basal) + 767 (training cycle + weight lifting on machines) = 3767
deficit - 1847

Well I woke up this morning weighing in at much lower than i expected so I kinda celebrated as you can see by my calories. It was almost a 2000 calorie day due to some wine and a nice dinner I cooked for Nicole and I.

My workout was 20 minutes of intervals on the cycle trainer at the gym and then an hour of doing 3 sets of ten on the weight machines. I did all upper body except chest and it took me about an hour. It was very frustrating to be in there and to see the weight that I was actually putting up for all the different exercises. I seem to have lost a lot of my strength from last year. I'll get it back though.

My funny anecdote for the day happened after I walked nicole home. I had wally the dog with me and i really had to pee so i stopped off at this big bush to take a whiz. Wally decided to join me. It was a magical moment of bonding between man and beast.

I'll include my recipe for the salmon today.

ingredients:
fresh skin on salmon
fresh rosemary - several sprigs
sea salt
lemon juice
olive oil
2 cloves of elephant garlic

directions:
coat your garlic (skin on) in olive oil and put in a 375 degree oven for an hour
meanwhile cut your salmon into individual servings and then cut the top of the salmon in diagonal 1/4 inch deep slits about an inch apart. Finely chop the rosemary reserving the tips of the sprigs for garnish. You will need 3 or 4 tbsp of it when chopped. Fill the slits on the salmon with your rosemary so the salmon looks striped. sprinkle sea salt on each portion. After 40 minutes of the garlic roasting, take a large cast iron skillet or other heavy bottom skillet and put a few table spoons of olive oil in it and heat over medium heat until the oil is about to smoke. Put the salmon in skin side down and keep the salmon moving for a minute to keep from sticking. let the oil sear the skin for about 5 minutes or so then sprinkle lemon juice on top of each portion being careful not to wash off the salt or rosemary. Transfer the whole pan to the oven with the
garlic. and cook until done. I like my salmon to be slighty raw in the middle but you can decide how it should be cooked. For those of you afraid of food born illness, if you get fresh fish and wash it properly having raw meat in the center wont hurt you. Just dont do this with freshwater fish. at any rate, after the fish is done pull out the garlic and the fish. Take the garlic and squeeze or scrape out the inside flesh which should be nicely soft and fragrant. Discard the skin and any tough parts of the garlic, then mash it together in a bowl with a touch of lemon juice and some sea salt. It should have a bright garlicky flavor without being overly powerful. Garnish your salmon with a dollop of the puree and stab your rosemary garnish next to it and enjoy!

Here's my food for the day:

breakfast
1/2 cup stoneyfield farms lowfat organic vanilla yogurt with quarter cup of blueberries - 100 calories

2nd breakfast
mini whole wheat bagel with 2 TBSP of my smoked salmon, capers, and onion creamcheese - 180 calories

lunch
Mini Cucumber Sandwhich with lowfat smoked sausage and olive oil mayo - 340 calories

Dinner
one serving of rosemary crusted salmon with a soup of mushrooms, onions, celery, oven roasted garlic puree,
cream sherry, chicken broth, rosemary, thyme, chili flake, and olive oil. Dessert was sugared strawberry quarters
(1/2 cup with 2 tsp turbinado sugar) and 3 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt. - about 700 calories

2 glasses of "cycles gladiator" chardonay - 280 calories

snacks
baby carrots with 2 TBSP lowfat sourcream and seasonings - 80 calories

2 TBSP of peanut butter - 150 calories

one serving of turkey lunch meat - 90 calories

3 comments:

Jo said...

what a special moment! where's the sweet potato recipe? I am getting tired of microwaved sweet potatoes!

dewonn43 said...

Bonding? You are hilarious ...

Jonny Meyer said...

when "bonding" its very important that you dont cross the streams which of course would warp the space time continuum. Jo, im still putting together that recipe from my friend for less servings so it will be a day or so.