Wednesday, March 11, 2009

First tuesday night ride

Weight - 257 pounds
Loss to date - 5 pounds
Calories in - 1315
Calories out - 3000 (basal) + 1865(one hour of racing above 20MPH) = 4865
Caloric deficit - 3550

Tonight was one of my best Tuesday night rides ever. It was the best because I didn't roll back into cook's landing as the last man.

Tonight was the "Fast Girls Slow Guys" season opening Tuesday night ride. It was a barn burner of a ride too. I was hoping that there would be a bunch of fat out of shape winter slackers (not unlike myself) that would keep the pace somewhat respectable. This was not the case.

Turns out the majority of the people who showed are the triathletes and generalized cycle gurus who make training their year round mantra. Regardless, I have been taking the past week and a half to get my mojo back to par on Suzie and I have felt good.

For some dumb reason I was afraid to relax in the middle of the pack and ended up being "that guy" who runs away from the pack only to be hunted down by the cave man like instinct that so many cyclists have running strong in their genes. I was able to hold everyone off from the soccer fields all the way to the flats just past Ft. Roots which to me was my own mini victory in the "stupid" category. Regardless, I didnt have enough gas to land myself back on the pack and relax. Thank goodness it was only a mile for me to be dropped before the turn around.

I think I ran off because i was hoping it would give me what I needed to get over the two hills that always seem to be responsible for me being dropped. Being 55 pounds over what I think is a reasonable weight really sucks when its time to conquer a hill. The only other problem I had was the big ass hill on the first section of the Burns Park Loop. That thing blows ass. And it blew my ass. So did all the fast skinny cyclists that blew past my ass.

This got me to thinking. What if Robbie "Lance" Mooney wore a 55 pound weight vest and went on a bike ride with me, who would come out on top. Im very curious. Hopefully by the time that the BDB100 comes around and I'm at my goal weight of 200 pounds I will have done it without losing too much of my strength which comes with being over weight and active. Id like some discussion on this point.

In the food department I kept things light today. Part of it was out of guilt for induldging myself this weekend with booze and higher calorie days and partly because i was busy and didnt have a lot of time to eat. My biggest splurge was the caprese sandwhich I enjoyed with my beautiful friend Nicole after our workouts. It was fresh baked foccacia with tomatoe, fresh basil leaves, fresh mozzarella, and pesto served with a few baby carrots. Such simple flavors and textures make that a wonderful sandwhich and something anyone can make at home. I have no clue how many calories it is though so I am going to guess it is 500.

According to my numbers when I weigh in tomorrow I will have lost a pound of weight! This was a good day.

Here's my food for the day:

Breakfast
one mini whole wheat bagel with one TBSP of whipped lowfat creamcheese
and half a serving of cracked pepper smoked salmon - 180 calories
one banana - 105 calories

Lunch
starbucks "tall" fat free latte with one serving of "perfect" oatmeal and dried fruit - 260 calories

Pre Ride Nutrition
Chocolate Hammer gel (YUMMY!) - 90 calories

During Ride Nutrition
Tropical Hammer gel (one serving) - 90 calories

After Ride Dinner with a Beautiful Yankee Named Nicole
Community Bakery's "caprese" sandwhich with 5 baby carrots and a big ass water - 500 calories?

Late Night Dinner
one pouch of chunk light tuna in water - 90 calories

2 comments:

Jo said...

It was a fun ride and it won't be long before you are spanking us all!

Ironman said...

Jonny, I haven't lost any strength, with the first 35lbs lost. I only lost 1/4 of an inch from my quads. I am so much stronger, now that I am lighter. I am sure, at some point, I will lose some strength, but it hasn't happend yet. You were kicking butt out there. It took us longer to track you down than I anticipated.